My foundation story of semiconductor co. establishment of NEOWINE

My foundation story of semiconductor co. establishment of NEOWINE

Hello. My name is Hyo Seong, the founder and CEO of NEOWINE Co. My English name is John H. Lee, but you can call me John. NEOWINE Co. was established in 2002, and we work with IoT security semiconductors and solutions. 

Instead of introducing my company to you, and most likely bore you from the start, I want to tell you about my interesting walk of life as an entrepreneur. In 1986, I got my bachelor’s degree in electrical electronics engineering from Konkuk University in Seoul, Korea. In 1991, I started working for Samsung Electronics. 

However, in 1999, Korea faced a period of economic devastation called IMF. IMF destroyed even major companies like Samsung Electronics, causing me to be laid off from my 8-year job. Then I started working for two small enterprises, and although I successfully developed their products, I got laid off again. I worked the hardest I could for my third company, but I just couldn’t get along with my co-workers with the unique personality that I have. My third boss offered me three months worth of payment as he asked me to leave the company. I only had $5,000 in my bank account at the moment, but God told me I have to start my own business.

As all of you know, running a semiconductor company requires a lot of funds and techniques. How could I become an entrepreneur, with only $5000, after getting fired from 3 jobs because I couldn’t get along with people? So I prayed to God for help, and I asked my boss for 6 months worth of payment so that I could start my business and raise my children. I still thank my ex-boss for his favor.

All or nothing is my motto in life. I do what I do with commitment, and I still run my company with such mindset. But at first, I attempted to develop something too difficult for a one-man company, 16–channel real-time screen division semiconductor. I still regret this, because if I tried to develop an easier, 4-channel technology instead, my company could have started off in a better direction. I worked on the product for 3 years, but it couldn’t be sold in the market because of a small error that it had. I worked for 12 hours every day for 3 years, for no products sold in return, and I even had to lay off a few co-workers that I had.

In 2003, upon my friend’s request, I developed a non-duplicable semiconductor (; we call it ALPU ) in just 3 weeks; the product made the first sales of my company worth of $100. That small product is now NEOWINE’s main item that has been sold one hundred and thirty million times. 

We sell a million of this product monthly, and it has become the cash cow of my company. Considering the fact that my 3-year long project returned no profit, and my 3-week long product is being sold worldwide, I guess hard work and effort aren’t the only things that make a good enterprise.

Our non-duplicable semiconductor has great markets in China, Taiwan, Japan, and Korea. However 50 newly established companies underestimated our technology, and have been selling similar products. Competitive prices dropped the price of our product as well, so we’ve been developing high-tech cryptographic security semiconductors for the past 10 years. A security semiconductor named DORCA-3 series is the world’s smallest, most energy-efficient chip that can process RSA, ECC, SHA, AES, TRNG, and PUF. Currently, we are developing another semiconductor named DORCA-4 which will be used in drones and IP cameras for footage and camera control security measures. 

Our purpose is to develop something the world has yet to see, or to improve upon already existing products to be smaller,  and thus more economically efficient. If a small enterprise can’t expand its business after developing a product for 10 years, it would be given up already. But NEOWINE’s motto is “For the more secure world.” Our primary goal isn’t our own profit; it’s the security of our world. From 2002 to 2005, our sales marked a little more than $0; from our establishment, the first 3 years of our sales totaled to $100. But by 2018, 2000 companies have used our semiconductors for their mass production. In 2017 alone, 500 companies used our products for their mass production, and we’ve been selling a million semiconductor products per month. Our compound annual growth rate is 28%.

We value the foundation of our technologies. So we’ve been keeping the source codes of all of our products throughout the years, thus we can quickly and efficiently produce high quality solutions upon the market’s request. The cryptographic semiconductor, DORCA-3 combines the core cryptographic techniques such as ECC, RSA, SHA, TRNG, and PUF into one chip, and can be applied to telesecurity phones, IoT, Door-Locks, Bitcoin hardware cold wallets, drones, and security technologies. Recently we used the Asymmetric key cryptography technique for TLS and network security.

Recent technologies are so vast and detailed that, since ten something years ago, companies have been copying or applying other companies’ technologies rather than learning the foundations for themselves. Because learning the foundations to develop semiconductors and software would cost over 10 years of time and a few billion dollars. Enterprises, both big and small, prefer to take the easy way out by taking and applying what already exists, causing their products to be big, expensive, and inefficient.

Unlike others, NEOWINE willingly takes the time to develop the world’s best, most optimal products. Good things don’t come easily; no one feeds you for free; and likewise, we believe that effort and investments are the core ingredients for good products. Taking the road not taken requires sacrifices, commitment, effort, and passion. But the brave ones who take that first step upon that road are the ones to make history; For example, Columbus discovered a new continent; Armstrong traveled to the moon; and the Wright brothers invented an airplane.

NEOWINE develops products that are efficient, easy to use, and cryptographically secure. We strive to better the humanity by providing security to all people worldwide. Thank you.

June.21.2018
NEOWINE CEO
Hyo Seung Lee ( John H. Lee )

Translator Yeji Yun

안녕하세요
저는 네오와인 이라는 회사의 설립자이며 CEO 인 효승 이 라고 합니다영어 이름은 존H. 리 이고 그냥 존이라고 불러도 좋습니다저희 회사는 2002년에 설립되었으며 보안관련 반도체와 솔루션을 취급합니다
회사소개는 지루하니까 제가 사업을 하면서 경험한 독특한 이야기를 들려 드리겠습니다저는 1986년에 한국 서울 건국대학교에서 전자공학을 전공했습니다그리고 1991년에 삼성전자에 입사했습니다그런데 1999년 한국에 경제공황이 닥쳐왔습니다. IMF 라고 불리는 경제공황은 삼성전자 같은 큰 회사도 힘들어 했고 저는 8년정도 근무한 삼성전자에서 스핀아웃 되었습니다그래서 2개의 중소기업에서 일했는데 모두 제품개발은 성공했지만 쫓겨나야만 했습니다세번의 회사경험에서 일을 아무리 열심히 잘 해도 독특한 성격으로 동료들과 잘 협력하지 못했고 세번째 회사에서 사장님이 석달치 봉급을 줄 테니 나가 달라는 말씀을 하셨습니다그때 저는 수중에 5,000 불 밖에 없었는데 제가 믿는 하나님께서 사업을 하라는 마음을 주셨습니다
아시다시피 반도체 회사는 고도의 기술과 자본이 필요한 회사입니다사람들과 화목하지 못해서 3개의 회사에서 쫓겨난 제가 5,000 불정도의 자본을 가지고 어떻게 창업할 수 있겠습니까그래서 제가 믿는 하나님께 기도와 도움을 구했고 사장님께 부탁해서 어린 자녀와 처자식을 말씀드리고 6개월치 봉급을 받아서 창업을 했습니다지금도 호의에 감사드립니다
저는 전부 아니면 전무 ( All or nothing ) 을 추구합니다할려면 하고 말려면 말고 지금도 그렇게 사업을 합니다만 그 당시에 1인 기업으로는 너무 힘든 16채널 실시간 화면 분할 반도체를 개발했습니다사실은 그렇게 어려운 제품을 개발하지 말고 4채널 정도의 제품을 만들었다면 훨씬 쉽게 회사를 운영 했을 텐데 지금도 아쉽게 생각합니다. 3년간 개발했지만 약간의 제품상 버그로 인해서 판매를 못했습니다. 12시간씩 3년간 열심히 일했지만 제품은 한 개도 못 팔고 몇 안되는 동료들도 내보내야만 했습니다
2003년 친구가 부탁한 복제방지반도체 라는 제품을 3주일 만에 개발했고 창업 후 3년만에 제품매출 100불을 만들게 되었습니다그 작은 매출의 제품이 지금의 메인 아이템이 되어 1.3 억개의 제품을 생산하고 판매 중 입니다이 제품은 매달 1백만개씩 판매되고 있으며 저희 회사의 캐시카우가 되었습니다. 3년간 개발한 것은 한 개도 못 파는데 3주간 개발한 것은 전세계에 팔리는 것을 보고 사업은 사람의 힘과 노력만으로 되는 것이 아니라는 생각을 하게 됩니다
저희 복제방지 반도체는 중국대만일본한국에서 잘 판매되고 있는데 지금은 저희 제품을 간단하게 보고 50 개의 회사가 창업해서 비슷한 제품을 만들어 내고 있습니다치열한 가격 경쟁으로 제품단가가 너무 하락하여 고도의 기술이 필요한 암복호 보안 반도체를 10년전부터 개발해 왔습니다. DORCA-3 시리즈 라는 보안 반도체는 세상에서 가장 작은 소모전류와 크기로 RSA, ECC, SHA, AES, TRNG, PUF  1개의 반도체에서 동작합니다현재는 드론영상카메라 같은 시스템의 영상과 컨트롤 보안을 구현한 DORCA-4 라는 반도체를 개발 중 입니다
저희는 세상에 없는 제품을 개발하거나 현재 존재하는 제품의 크기를 획기적으로 줄여서 경제성을 확보하는 기술을 추구하고 있습니다
중소기업에서 어떤 제품을 10 년간 개발하고도 영업이 확대되지 못한다면 대부분 중간에 포기합니다그러나 저희 회사의 슬로건은 For the more secure world 이며 현재의 이익보다는 더 안전한 세상을 어떻게 만들 것 인가를 고민하고 있습니다. 2002~2005 년까지 매출은 거의 이었고 3년간 매출은 단 100 불 이었습니다복제방지 반도체가 시장에 적용되어 2018년 현재 누적으로 2,000 개의 거래처에서 저희 반도체를 양산에 적용했고 2017 500 개의 회사가 저희 반도체를 양산에 사용하고 있으며 매달 100 만개의 반도체 제품을 선적하고 있습니다매년 순자산 증가율 CAGR 28% 입니다.
저희는 기술의 기본을 매우 중요하게 생각합니다그래서 모든 제품의 기초 기술인 소스코드를 오랜 개발 기간을 거쳐서 보유하고 있으며시장의 요구에 대해서 가장 빠르고 확실하게 고급제품을 경제적인 솔루션으로 만들 수 있습니다암복호 반도체인 DORCA-3 는 암호화의 꽃인 ECC, RSA, SHA, TRNG, PUF 기술을 하나로 결합 했으며 이것을 이용하여 도청방지 휴대폰, IoT 도어락비트코인등의 하드웨어 콜드월렛드론 보안 등에 적용할 수 있습니다최근에는 비대칭키 보안기술을 사용하여 TLS, 네트워크 보안등에도 적용하고 있습니다.
근래의 기술개발은 너무나 다양하고 세분화 되어 있어서 십여년전부터 회사들은 기초기술 습득보다는 다른 회사에서 만든 기술을 도용하거나 응용하거나 단순 판매하는 것을 추구합니다왜냐하면 기초기술 습득부터 반도체 개발과 응용제품 소프트웨어 개발은 수천만불의 투자가 필요하고 개발기간도 10년이상 걸리기 때문입니다중소기업부터 대기업까지 모든 회사가 남들이 만든 것을 쉽고 빠르게 적용하여 자기 제품으로 제작하려고 하기 때문에 제품의 크기가 커지고 비싸지고 소모전력도 많은 제품이 출시되고 있습니다.
드물게 네오와인은 개발기간이 오래 걸리더라도 최적화된 설계를 추구하여 세계 최고의 제품을 고집하고 있습니다좋은 것은 빨리 이루어 지지 않으며공짜 점심은 없고적절한 수고와 비용을 치루어야만 좋은 제품을 만들 수 있다는 신념 때문입니다
남들이 걷지 않은 새로운 길을 뚫고 나가는 것에는 희생과 헌신과 노력과 열정이 필요합니다그러나 아무도 길을 가지 않을 때 누군가 용기를 내어 한 걸음 시작했기 때문에 콜롬버스는 신대륙을 발견했고 암스트롱은 달나라를 갔고 라이트형제는 비행기를 만들 수 있었습니다
저희 제품은 작고 간단한 사용방법안전한 암복호를 추구하여 누구라도 쉽고 간단하게 적용할 수 있는 제품을 개발하고 있습니다세계 최고의 보안을 보든 사람에게 “Worldwide All Security to All People” 보급하여 더 안전하고 품위 있는 인류가 되도록 노력하고 있습니다.
2018 7 21
네오와인 CEO 이효승

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DALPU, the NEOWINE HSM for PC, Phone, Linux, Raspberry Pi

Neowine developed a software copy protection device for Raspberry Pi software engineers

Join the DIY Bitcoin hardware wallet.